Premium Joomla Template by HostMonster Reviews

What to do if UFW Takes Access?

What should you do you're Served with a Notice of Intent to Take Access by the United Farm Workers (UFW)?  UFW has been making heavy use this summer of their rights under the Agricultural Labor Relations Act (ALRA) to take access to farms for the supposed purpose of assessing employer's compliance with the Heat Illness Prevention standard.  

Farm Employers Labor Service (FELS, an affiliated company of the California Farm Bureau Federation) is presenting two special programs in conjunction with Kern County Farm Bureau and Fresno County Farm Bureau to help you understand how to handle a situation that may be unfamiliar to many farmers: you've been served with a Notice of Intent to Take Access by a union.

The Agricultural Labor Relations Board's rules allow a union to petition the Board for the right to take access to your farm or ranch for the purpose of meeting and talking with your workers. It is unlawful to impede this process, but the union has to follow certain rules:

  • The notice must be properly served on you;

  • The union may only take access as specific times during the day;

  • The union may not be disruptive or damage your property;

  • The workers are under no obligation to listen!

Come find out more from Pat Moody of Barsamian & Moody. Pat and FELS work closely with clients to help ensure employers' rights are fully protected, and to make sure workers can fully exercise their right to have union representation, to refrain from having union representation, or to discontinue union representation.

This special program will be offered at:

  • Kern County Farm Bureau, 801 S. Mount Vernon Ave., Bakersfield; Thursday, September 17 at 3:30 PM. Please contact Beatris Sanders at 661-397-9635 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to attend;

  • Fresno County Farm Bureau, 1274 West Hedges Avenue, Fresno; Friday September 18 at 9 AM.  Please contact Fresno County Farm Bureau at (559) 237-0263 to attend.